Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Shawarma

Little stands selling produce, cigarettes, beer, and sausage are abundant in our part of Moscow. It strikes me as a bit inefficient to have to trudge between the outdoor stalls through the brown ice-water to buy oranges one place and meats another. If only all of these goods could be purchased in one consolidated market! Perish the thought.
It is quaint- or perhaps that is not a fitting word to describe anything in this bustling

city. It is a fun anachronism to purchase from the stalls: quick Vladya, to the cheese vendor!
Of course, no one manning the place speaks a work of English, but that is easily overstepped with descriptive hand motions and charades.

The Russian palate is completely un-adapted to any sort of spiciness whatsoever. The only convenient place to find anything with a kick is at the little shawarma stands. Shawarma is a bit like a gyro or falafel: some mystery meat (looks like lamb?) with lettuce and tomato and yogurt sauce. Although, I’m not sure whether they are putting yogurt sauce or mayonnaise (Russians have a weird thing for mayonnaise) on it. Nonetheless, these treats from the Middle East are a tasty feast and at last some repast to break my spiceless fast!
Even still, most shawarma from these stands is still relatively bland compared to the stuff we have in the States. My Russians friend Maksim told me of one especially “spicy” stand to try, so I went there today. Two Syrians manned this stand: I know so because one of them brought it up when I told them I was American. I asked them in my broken Russian what they thought about Egypt and Tunisia at the moment and they responded positively. We talked a little about Israel and America and things like that. I guess it was a weird encounter.
I have been enjoying the shawarma so far, but some Russian spoiled my fun today when they told me that they wouldn’t eat there because they were unsure about the meat. “Poor doggies,” says my friend Alisa. I don’t know if that’s just a bit of prejudice or a legitimate concern. Besides that, someone else told me that they read a report a few years back that claimed that the shawarma stands don’t have clean vegetables. Apparently, the Moscow Times did some investigation and found that 70% or so of the stands used vegetables with significant traces of fecal matter on them…
Hmmm… Come to think of it, my stomach churns a little funny when there’s shawarma on it and my bowels have…nevermind.
Eat a little shit before you die, as I always say!

4 comments:

  1. Common, Miles, give Russian cuisine a chance! I don't know where and what you are eating, but if you are lucky to go home with the Russian girls over a weekend, you will be pleasantly surprised by how the homemade food tastes. As a rule, Russian moms are very good cooks. I'd say my mom is the best cook of them all! Spicy as in "burn your insides" is definitely not what a typical Russian likes. I have a good supplement to recommend, if you have food poisoning or an upset stomach. I will send you a separate e-mail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the dog thing is probably just like our stereotype about oriental food containing dog or cat meat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't you say there were a lot of stray dogs hanging around Moscow? Seems if they were serving them up as the mystery meat in your gyros, there wouldn't be many around.
    As to the vegetables, they probably wash them with tap water which is contaminated. If you're buying fresh fruits and vegetables, probably should rinse them in bottled water before eating.

    Thought for the day - Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes! There have to be a safer options than the oudoor stalls you describe, even if you have to pay for transporation to these places. If you think you may need a care package (Ramen Noodles, Peanut butter,seasonings, etc.)let us know. Surely, we can get some things to you that would help somewhat.Just e-mail your needs!

    ReplyDelete