Search This Blog

Thursday, February 3, 2011

In the words of General McAuLiffe: "Nuts."

This Black History Month, I would like to dedicate my post to Mr. George Washington Carver, without whose ceaseless toil in the innumerable uses of the peanut, I would go hungry between classes. I must admit, in the past I thought that the only reason I was taught about Mr. Carver was because of racial penance. Truly, is there more mundane a science than peanuts? But, now I understand the wisdom of teaching kids about this scientist over other, ostensibly more important men of science like Watson, Crick and John Von Neumann. For, without our peanut butter, what would we do?
One of the more irksome things about Russia is that they do not sell peanut butter here. How they could go without such a staple is beyond me. With so many Americans in Moscow, you would think that peanut butter would have been introduced to the population and would have spread by natural selection because of its superior tastiness. They eat plenty of bread and jam here, why don’t they see the missing link!

One last point of interest: a tasty treat! Last night we were having tea and one of my Russian friends brought some homemade blackberry preserves to put in our drinks. It was tasty and I suggest that everyone back home try fruit preserves in their tea.

4 comments:

  1. Love this post!!! Miles, take a few minutes and get acquainted with Expat.ru ( http://www.expat.ru/ ) and see if there are any stores that sell American items that would be close to a Metro station. Surely there has to be a store there that you can get to as I cannot believe that with all of the Americans living in Moscow that peanut butter cannot be found. I like that you are willing to try some of the new foods!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Азбука Вкуса, Перекресток, Kalinka Stockmann - these are big supermarkets that may carry peanut butter. Ask your Russian friends to take you there. They all have web sites too, get their phone numbers from there and call to make sure they have it before you go. Be careful to ask for peanut butter to EAT, because it is also used as a natural remedy (ointment) and in cooking - peanut butter oil. The confusing thing is that Peanut butter and peanut oil are translated the same into Russian "арахисовое масло".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Miles!

    It's so funny that you brought up Dr. Carver in this post because we have been studying him all week in my multiculturalism class. I'm glad you recognize his importance! Maybe there's a recipe to make your own peanut butter! I'm happy you are enjoying Russia. The Shoebox family is missing you and sends their regards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. here's a little company in moscow who produce pretty decent all natural nut butters, including peanut, almond and even cashew, http://nutbutter.ru
    and they also deliver

    found them on facebook http://www.facebook.com/nutbutterru

    ReplyDelete