Search This Blog

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Русский Язык

The Russian language has a vibrant history full of political intrigue, brilliant artistry, and a whole host of other attributes that I will avoid listing so as not to sound hackneyed. From what I have read, Russians have a special attachment to their language, a kind of linguistic nationalism that we English speakers do not share with our mother tongue. Speaking for myself, English is just a means by which to communicate, not an expression or representation of my culture. However, for Russians, the Russian language is inextricably linked with the history and mindset of the country; it is the good old Sapir-Whorf hypothesis.
So, language being such a cherished natural treasure, it is surprising how inundated Moscow is with the English language. Most advertisements on billboards, television, and in stores are in English. Today when I went to get my haircut, none of the employees spoke a word of English, which made explaining the style that I wanted rather difficult. But, inside the shop, every product that they were using, all of the hair-care advertisements, and even the songs on the radio were in English.
Our language is everywhere. Even the most tucked away restaurants have full menus in English. In all of the tourist areas, signs are in Russian and English. The popular music is from America (mainly) and America movies gross almost twice as much as their Russian-made counterparts.
Last week I went to an English-speaking club, which is basically a bar where people come to speak English. Native English speakers get in free; Russians have to pay a cover charge. Apparently native English speakers are more of a draw than attractive women! Of course, most everyone there is Russian, but there were several British and American expatriates as well.
I was wandering around Moscow trying to find Old Arbat Street, which, by the way, is an entirely different road than New Arbat Street. I asked someone: “ Вы не знаете, где Старая Арват улица?” The response: “right over there.”
My Russian friends say that Americans stick out like a Jewish lesbian at the Republican National Convention (well, that’s not exactly how they put it). I am beginning to notice the difference too. On the metro, I can usually pick out a Brit or an American just by her facial expressions.
I feel myself beginning to assimilate. I am smiling less often when I am in public, and slowly getting used to the aggressive behavior in grocery store lines or on the escalator in the metro. Yesterday I was riding the bus and I stood up from my seat to talk with my friend across from me. I was still holding onto the rail that was attached to my seat, but when I turned around someone had snuck right past me and sat down. That’s just how it is. Still, with my new Eastern-European haircut, maybe people will start to think I’m Russian.
Back to language: Moscow is easy enough to navigate for English speakers, especially in the busy tourist areas. Still, Russian is definitely the national language and is still very much a part of life here, especially outside of the cities (I assume, I have not yet been outside of the city). I am excited to improve my speaking skills and to learn the language.

3 comments:

  1. Русский язык - you're missing one letter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You stand up - you lose your seat: the rule of Moscow train)

    ReplyDelete