Search This Blog

Sunday, March 6, 2011

I like Russians

I am constantly trying to define Russians, trying to pinpoint some overarching character trait and create a mold. The futility of this is beginning to dawn on me. I’ve never tried to define what Americans are, because how can you? There is no one thing that binds all 300 million of us. There are good Russians and there are bad Russians. There are friendly and outgoing Russians and there are obstinate Russians and there are pretty Russians and ugly Russians. Yes, I guess all I can really say is that Russia, like anywhere else, has a great diversity of personality.
That being said, Russians do have a unique culture and a way of doing things that is different from what I’m used to. I first noticed this when I went to New York with English and my Russian friend Vasily. We drove from Clemson to Washington D.C. to New York, and along the way I noticed a few things that I now know are characteristically Russian.
Firstly, Russians seem to have a special love of automobiles. Vasily loved to drive. He chose to drive to New York City when we could have easily flown for about the same price. To him it was a great American road trip; to me it was I-95 for 14 hours! All the same, Vasily was so impressed with the quality of the roads, and cruising around in his older-model Lincoln Towncar we were really riding in comfort. He was very particular about the car, which was at least 15 years old and had way over 100,000 miles on it. It struck me as kind of funny because he bought it when he got to the United States, and he is returning to Russia sometime this summer- so this was not a long-term investment. But, before we could take off in the morning we would turn the engine on, sit in the car, and wait for about five minutes for the engine to warm up: “this improves the longevity of the car.” Well, no reason to argue. We stopped a few times along the way to let the engine cool, though the gauges suggested that it was operating at a normal temperature.
Vasily really treated his car well. My Russian friends here are also very particular and very proud of their cars. My friend Max has an old Lada, a Russian made car, that has difficulty starting in cold weather and sometimes turns off at stoplights. But, he has put a lot of work into it, fixing it up and making it run well. The Russians are a bit car-crazy; they love Mustangs and American muscle cars. I have seen more luxury automobiles in Moscow than I have ever seen in my life: several Bentleys cruising around, countless Mercedes, Audis, BMWs, and we saw a Ferrari dealership the other day.
Secondly, Russians have a fluid concept of time. When we were in New York, I wanted to be active. If we were going to eat, then I wanted to be in and out so that we could maximize our time adventuring! Vasily liked to take it easy and thought I was funny in my rush. When I am on vacation, the last thing I want to do is rest. I can rest at home, so let’s go see everything while we’re here! Vasily didn’t mind taking his time with things. When English and I accidentally took the subway over to Brooklyn and then had to backtrack, I was frustrated at the hour that I lost. When Vasily decided to go to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty, the hour-long line to get tickets didn’t faze him, neither did the tremendous opportunity cost of being out on the water all day.
Especially among our male Russian friends, schedules may as well be written in the sand with the tide coming in. I learned quickly to not base my schedule around them. When they say “we’ll be there at three to do ____,” that really means “we’ll be there around five, sit around a bit and talk, and then go do ____ at six thirty.” It’s not a bad trait, it’s just not the way I do it.
Thirdly, Russians take things in stride. When things didn’t go our way or schedules were interrupted, Vasily would not be worried in the least. Where are we going to stay tonight? Where are we going to park? What are we going to do? Eh, we’ll figure it out; that was Vasily’s attitude. It’s a nice way to be. I’ve found Russians to be calm in situations when I am angry or worried. I like to be proactive with things. I like to channel that nervous energy towards fixing problems and finding solutions! I enjoy the emotional rush of uncertainty. Also, when something doesn’t work out, it distresses me. I’m bothered when my plans go awry. It’d be accurate to say that Russians are fatalistic: things happen, and that’s the way the world works. Nope, things happen because we make them happen!!!
When we went to the Georgian restaurant and were ripped off (previous post), the Russians didn’t seem too bothered about the whole ordeal. It’s just money after all. I guess that’s true. In the grand scheme of life, I’m not going to miss $25. Still, that didn’t have to happen…
Anyways, you can probably disregard everything I just said because it’s likely to be completely untrue. Still, those are my impressions.

6 comments:

  1. Ну что-ж, такие мы чудики получается)! Я еще помню времена когда люди квартиру на машину меняли и наоборот. Машины стали появляться в большом количестве только недавно. Многие прожили всю жизнь без машины.

    Недавно был на концерте Томми Эммануэля и рассказывал американцам как у нас люди отдавали месячные зарплаты за запись Битлов "на костях" и за джинсы, так они поверить не могли)

    Майлз, это страна, где полиэтиленовые пакеты и алюминиевые банки появились только лет 15 назад.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Homework: For better understanding the subject compare average wage and pension in Russia with the average price of new car and estimate how many years average Russian should save up for buying a new car. Probably it will be eyeopener for you and you will be surprised why religious people still go to churches instead praying to car!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a good point Vasily, I hadn't thought about it like that. I understand what you're saying, but like I said, it was just interesting to see the difference in culture! By the way, that was a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are two ways here until now: if you are "average Russian" ether you driving and praying to car or you just walking)! The progress about cars in Russia now is like in early 20th century in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miles, russians are very very different and some of them are much closer to americans than other. For example, I like to plan upfront usually but many people don't like to do it and I also hate when people are late. And time is cheap in Russia/Ukraine just because salaries are low. But, generaly there is some fatalism and it's just a part of the culture, probably americans don't imagine how many crazy things russian did without planing (and many of them worked:)).

    Our cultures are just very different.

    And Vasiliy is right about salaies... There are some tips for you: average russian/ukrainian salary is ~250$/month. The cheapest new car (except russian cars...) which you can buy is something like 12000$. If the cheapest american car would cost something like 0.5million dollars, would you care about it?:)

    But there are a lot of cheap things like internet, cell phone plans, utilities, etc...

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi i just want to say that i really really like everything to do with russia, especially the language, there is just something amazing and beautiful about the flow of words. i would love to learn the language. my eventual goal is to fulfill my dream and to move to russia. the people are also a huge attraction to me. i am british, not american, but i would just love to even visit russia. im so jealous of russian people :)

    ReplyDelete