Search This Blog

Friday, January 28, 2011

A few interesting tidbits

The first thing I noticed about Moscow was the multitude of flower shops that hug every corner. Between the airport and our hostel, I must have counted 7 or 8 “Цветы” shops, although I’m not certain of the number because I was in and out of sleep. Bright colors are necessary to break up the ubiquitous grey: grey slush on grey concrete behind a grey sky with grey skyscrapers.
There are a lot of things for an American to get used to in Russia. The Russians eat salted and dried squid with their beer and they thought it was funny that I was repulsed. When I told them that we usually eat pizza and chicken wings with our grog, they said that sounded gross. With most things I am adopting the mantra “when in Moscow, do as the Moscovites do,” but I just can’t handle that fishy flavor.
Almost every girl in Russia wears high heels, even when walking in snow and ice. This is an amazing feat because even I, with my “Omni-grip” boots, slide all around on the ice. Women’s fashion in Russia is almost masochistic. Many of the girls, on top of heels, wear short skirts so that a large section of their thigh is exposed! Keep in mind, it is about 15 degrees here before wind chill. Suffer for fashion.
For your average consumer good, the Russian price will be roughly equivalent to the American price. Groceries are about the same, beer is a little bit cheaper, hats, gloves, socks, soda, water, are at American price levels. Vodka can be bought here on the cheap: it is about 3$ for 1 Liter of Vodka! However, I am told that MacBooks cost around 3,000$ here.
It is impossible to find peanut butter here. I brought my own, but I am dreading the day that I run out.
Aside from the occasional pang of homesickness, everything is going well. I am not quite adjusted to the time change. I miss everyone at home and can’t wait to see you all again!

4 comments:

  1. Honey,
    I read in fodor that there is alot of dangerous, conterfeit Vodka on the streets in Moscow. Drink only Vodka that has the official white seal and only buy bottles in groceries, etc.not on the street

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Miles! I am looking forward to reading your blog! I know how feel - the first days/weeks are the hardest. You are going through a MAJOR culture shock, no doubt. Being jet lagged doesn't help either. Many years ago, when I arrived at Penn State, also in January, I was so depressed and homesick, I stayed at a hotel the first couple of nights because I couldn't bear the sight of my graduate housing apartment - drab, minimal furniture, my unpacked suitcases... I promise it will get better! Just keep an open mind and take it easy on beer and vodka.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your trip is going well!
    I hope things get better for you and even warmer! And don't forget to take your mom's advice about the vodka.
    Sorry this is so short, its the third time I'm attempting to comment. =/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miles,

    I totally agree about the flower shops. It is really interesting how many there are all across Moscow. The nicer the weather gets (later in the semester), you will see why there are so many as it is real common to see MANY people picking them up on the way to guests' homes and for their loved ones too (Women's Day in March). Hope you have a great time on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete